101 mins/2014/Marathi with English subtitles/INDIA
A mesmeric force pulls Jabya onto the other side. The rarest of rare Black Sparrow he is told, is the cure to his problem. The hypnotic spell of the sparrow makes him wander relentlessly. Completely away from the magical world of Jabya, exists the callous reality of his parents who are working at the most oppressed level of the Indian Class Structure and assume him to do the same work which they have done all their life. The protagonist Jabya has to now struggle between his quest to find the magical sparrow and his parents’ expectations. Will Jabya be successful in his pursuit of the Black Sparrow? Will the magnetic power surpass the class differences between Jabya and Shalu created by centuries of customs.? Will Jabya break the fences and pass onto the other side?
Interested in screening this in your hometown?
TICKETS NOT AVAILABLE
Born and brought up in Karmala a very small town of Sholapur district in Maharashtra, he has closely seen how one has to struggle while getting an education if one belongs to a poor, backward family of a rural India. His First National Award winning short film ‘PISTULVA’ is a reflection of his ‘felt experience’, He has pursued his masters in Marathi literature from Pune University and Masters in Communication Studies from New Art, Science and Commerce College Ahmednagar. He is one of the best and Important poets in Marathi literature in the last decade. His collection of poems ‘Unhachya Kataviruddha’ has received a very warm welcome in contemporary Marathi literature, and book won very renowned ‘Damani literary Award’, also praised by the stalwarts from Marathi literature.
Fandry, is therefore and indeed no wonder, my own experience of life. Having born in a nomadic tribal caste and being the first in my family to acquire education, I got acquainted with notions and concepts of human independence, social equality and human rights.
Just Ike ‘Fandry’ is a soft love story blossoming in the heart of a tender-aged boy called iabya over the background of the unsympathetic society equally potent a story it is of a spirited and awe-inspiring chase made by a brave youth to win self-pride, material life and pleasures It offers, for making the dreams come true even while overcoming the heinous inferiority complex emanating from the feeling of being nothing less than a mucky pig in the wicked castes system of Indian society.
Vivek Kajaria & Nilesh Navalakha
1) Fipresci India Film Critic Award for Best Indian Film 2013
2) Golden Lotus (Swarn Kamal) National Award for Best Debut Film 2014
3) 15th Mami 2013 Jury Grand Prize, Silver Gate Award, 2nd Best Film in Internationa Competition at 15th Mami 2013
4) Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles – Grand Jury Prize for Best Film
5) 12th Pune International Film Festival award for Best Film, Best Film ( Audience), Best Director, Best Cinematographer, Best Actor
6) Maharashtra Times (MATA) 2013 Awards for Best Film, Best Firector, Best Editor, Best Child Artist, Best Screenplay
7) Zee Gaurab 2013 Awards for Best Supporting Actor, Best Child Artist
8) New York Indian Film Festival 2o14 Best Director award.
OFFICIAL SELECTION FILM FESTIVAL
• London Film Festival, 2013
• 37th Goteborg International Film Festival
• New York Indian Film Festival, 2014
• 9th Seatle South Asian Film Festival, 2014
• Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival, 2014
• San Fancisco International South Asian Film Festival, 2014
• New Generations Independent Indian Film Festival, 2014
• Zurich Film Festival, 2014
• Indian Film Festival of Stuttgart
• Melbourne International Film Festival
• Chicago South Asian Film Festival, 2014
• Asia Pacific Screen Awards ( in competition )
• Indian Film Festival The Hague, 2014
• Prague Indian Film Festival
• Indian International Film Festival of Los Angeles, 2014
• Mumbai Film Festival ( Mami) , 2013 – Official Selection in International Competition
• Dharmshala International Film Festival, 2013 – Official Selection
• Iffi, Goa – Official Selection in Indian Panorama, 2013
• 18th International Film Festival of Kerala, 2013
• 18th International Children’s Film Festival Hyderabad, India 2013
• Abu Dhabi Film Festival, 2013 – Official selection in three segments